Marathon wrap-up

Sunday seems like such a blur, but I’ll do my best to document how it went.

I wasn’t nervous at all prior to the race, not even once my husband dropped me off at the starting line and I fished through the crowd until I found my 5:00 hour pace group. The pacers hold up a sign while they run, a job that I don’t think I’d ever want to do, so it was pretty easy to locate my group. Sure, I was pushing my abilities by running with this pace group, but this was the last of the pace groups that were offered. If I wanted a pace group, this was it.

Glenn, my pacer, kept me at a quick (for me) pace for the first 12 or so miles. When I look at my Garmin stats I can see that I didn’t even take a decent walking break until somewhere around mile 13. I remember being shocked when I looked at my watch and saw that I was at mile 10.

It was somewhere around mile 13 when my hips started to bother me. They were so sore that I had to walk. I did long stretches of walking and with that, watched my pacer group carry on without me. It was also somewhere around here that I realized that the girl who was running next to me was a friend from my yoga studio. That kept me going for a mile or two, having someone that I knew outside of the marathon to talk to. However, with the walking, I soon lost her too. I remember calling my husband because I really needed someone to talk me through the pain in my hips.

Thinking back, if I had been smarter, I would have stopped to talk to my sister-in-law and Jennifer around mile 14, I”m sure that one of them would have had a Tylenol or a Motrin to give me. (head smack!)

Jennifer took these photos of me, aren’t I glamorous? Thanks Jen!

Now seems as good a time as any to explain my lovely wardrobe decision. That is my favorite running shirt. I wear it, wash it, and wear it again. It’s not even worth folding and putting away. The capri length running pants are awesome, however they only have one small pocket at my back  and I need to stuff five Gu packs somewhere, which explains the Amphipod belt. It has two packs on it, one for my iPhone, and the other for my Kleenex (when I run, my nose joins in), lip balm, and half of my Gu’s (the other half is in that pants pocket). My number is attached to my belt because I’m not a fan of pinning it to the front of my shirt. The belt also has two water bottles that are positioned at my back, which is why my jacket is hiked up so high and I look ridiculous. My hat is by Headsweats and works a lot like a sweatband would, it is awesome. That bright yellow thing is my magical jacket: wind and water resistant, yet breathable. Sure, I took it off every now and then and tied it around my waist, but there were times that I was very happy that I had it. My gloves were a new purchase, and they were awesome. The knee highs were my compression socks, I love them.

Somewhere along the race someone pointed out that I travel with a lot of gear. Oh yes. Guilty as charged.

Next came Fox Point. Fox Point seemed to go on FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER AND EVER. And, I dropped one of my gloves in Fox Point. Realizing that I no longer had two gloves in my hand, I turned to see my glove about 10 feet behind me. It wasn’t so much the going back to get my glove as it was the bending down to pick it up part. If there had been a strong gust of wind, I would have tumbled right over, and probably stayed there too.

I finally made it out of Fox Point and into Whitefish Bay, and there I came upon my friend from yoga again. Woo hoo! Friendly face! At mile 20.5 my daughter called me to say: GO MOM GO!

Around mile 22.75 I saw the intersection lights of N. Lake Drive and Kenwood Blvd. This is where Lake Park is and I knew I was almost done, I got emotional and started to cry. Ohmygosh, I’m almost there!!!

I pulled myself together, enjoyed (I’m using that term very loosely) my last stretch at the lakefront. At mile 25.5 I called my husband to say I was on my way. Him and my daughter met me at the 26th mile marker and ran the last .20 with me. My mom and brother were waiting at the finish line, I crossed, and received my medal.

It was so awesome. It was brutal. It was painful. I had fun. I was miserable. In the middle I cursed all things marathon. I still can’t believe that I did it. And I’ll probably do it again. (ohmygosh, did I just say that?)

You can see what the Garmin tracked here.

Before I go, this is an interesting tidbit: When I began my training program over the summer I used the Smart Coach program on the Runner’s World website. I had to plug in a current race time as one of the variables used to spit out my program. I didn’t have a current race time, so I used a 3 mile treadmill run of 34 minutes. Information in. Information out. It gave me a 13 week training program and actually presented a Marathon Race Day Time of 5:30:19 (hours:minutes:seconds). According to my Garmin, I finished in 5:31:52. And according to the official race results, I finished in 5:31:49.

I blame the glove.

body{-moz-user-select: none;}var noRightClickMessage=’Sorry, right-clicking is disabled; please respect copyrights';  Copyright secured by Digiprove © 2010

About these ads


  1. I’m so impressed!!


  2. aren’t those Garmin GPS’s great. I have a lot of fun just going out walking now.


  3. Congratulations on pulling thru! Love the design and background on your blog. Hope to hear more about when you do it again…yes, we heard you say that :)


May the force be with you ...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,069 other followers

%d bloggers like this: